Rib #2 matches rib #1 to within plus or minus a millimeter or two everywhere. I spent some time with an X-Acto knife and sanding block cleaning the excess epoxy off of the first rib, so it’s looking pretty good now. Tonight I put #3 in the jig and glued it.
I was planning to make the second jig tonight also, but that’s going to just have to wait a little while. The garage is getting too cluttered to work in. I’ve got numerous tasks partially completed, and it’s a real mess.
I need to finish grooving the capstrips, first off, so I can use the table saw for other things.(done!)
- I need to get the rest of the geodetic stock shaved down to final size. I got my strip cutting jig from Rockler today, so we’ll see if the table saw can be used to help with that or not.
I need to cut more wood blocks for the jig. With the spindle sander, I can make sure they are perfectly square.(done!)
- There is some cleanup to be done, including two workbenches that are piled high with so much crap that I’m working with a rib building jig hanging over the sides on one end of the bench. It’s an eight foot long bench and I’m using less than a foot of it. Ridiculous.
- I will need a place to store these ribs so they don’t get damaged. And I definitely have to find a better solution for the geodetic braces. The paper cups I have been using were a terrible idea. They take up enough room that they’re a pain in the ass to use, and they tip over, fall off the bench and spill parts everywhere at the slightest bump or touch.
- I have the table saw and spindle sander sitting halfway out in the middle of the floor, need to get a permanent location figured out.
That will at least get me to where I need to be to keep building ribs. At some point I’m going to need another eight feet of workbench, but that can wait until I have the ribs and tail feathers built. Pretty sure I can do all that on the 3 x 8 that I have now.